Sunday, July 12, 2009

L and the Counsel Continued: The Comedian

L: And you, Comedian, why are you suddenly convulsing with such fits of laughter? Your sides are quaking with it like you are possessed by a force I cannot fathom. Tears form at your clamped lids and you fully bare your teeth revealed beneath a bent upper lip. You shake your head as you spew that disruptive, unsettling noise. Tell me, what are you laughing for?

Comedian: I cannot take this preacher's sincerity seriously! Nor can I keep still in quiet respect of any man who seems so adamant in his beliefs. Who do they think they're kidding? Tell me, where does man find truth? Is it in a flash of light? Is truth whispered only to lone men in mountains? Do dusty tomes in some ancient labyrinth hold truth in volumes? Can I subscribe to truth with an annual fee? Is it beneath the carpet settling with the dust? Does it reside in the mold with the cockroaches? Or perhaps truth lies tangled in the hairs of a woman's crotch? In the scent of a warm release of flatulence? Can truth be held in the hand? How much does it weigh on the scale? What is its value on the market?... The absurdity is too much! These questions make as much sense as the word truth does in itself. And that is none, none at all! Now death, death is logical, it's a cold, solid fact. A fact that many men simply cannot accept fully although it stares them right in the face at every moment. So they try to compensate with these so called truths in order to deny the impotency of their lives. Many assuming-holders-of-truth, particularly those who are well-groomed with a pedigree of prestige, assume staunch positions, grow beards, have their suits properly tailored. They seem large in size with their backs straight and their chins raised. Their brows are unusually thick and daunting! Others actually take these men and their elaborate babble seriously because they see authority in them. But, like truth, authority exists in this world only as one of the most successful cons! When I look at these men of truth and authority, all I can see are lofty dwarves on stilts! A dignified procession of freaks! A carnival sideshow, natural in its vulgarity, attempting the pristine! And then I'm not able to keep myself from laughing. Hilarity builds an enormous pressure at the pit of my stomach, and it can't just sit there or I'll burst. So I open my mouth and let the cathartic cackles hold me through.

No comments: